During 10-11 of September two well-know global tech leaders and billionaires, Eric Schmidt & Vitalik Buterin, payed a visit to the capital of Ukraine to attand conferences – Kyiv Tech Summit & Yalta European Strategy (setarately).
- Eric Schmidt, an American billionaire and former CEO and head of the Google board, came to Ukraine during Yalta European Strategy (YES) summit taking place 9-10 of September in Kyiv.
- As part of his visit, he met with Minister of Defence of Ukraine Oleksii Reznikov, Minister of Digital transformation Mykhailo Fedorov, Head of the Office of the President Andrii Yermak. They reportedly talked about technological solutions that could help Ukraine accelerate the de-occupation of territories, restore its territorial integrity and return to a safe, peaceful life. Ukraine, long an incubator for programming as well as illegal hacking skills, has a deep IT workforce that has been able to launch cyberattacks against the Russia, breaking into their communications. The country has also skillfully used biometric and facial recognition techniques to identify Russian troops involved in atrocities, such as the massacre in Bucha early in the war. In addition, Ukrainian programmers have been skilled in making drones useful in the war.
I can just report that based on my small amount of data, the Ukrainian tech industry really did make a contribution to the front? – said Eric Schmidt.
- Ethereum creator Vitalik Buterin joined the Kyiv Tech Summit to provide his support to hackers on the ground floor building the humanitarian tools of tomorrow. The event took place last week in the Ukrainian capital hosted by the UNIT.City
- The three-day event was focused on 500 hackers who submitted almost 50 projects as part of a crypto-related hackathon to support Ukrainians in their fight for freedom. What stood out among the themes discussed were decentralized electoral voting, central banks issuing digital currencies, and the role of Web3 and blockchain in fighting disinformation.
- The war-time conference brought together 30 tech experts, the most high profile of them being Buterin and two government officials – Mykhailo Fedorov, the country’s vice prime minister and Digital Transformation minister for IT development, and Alex Bornyakov, Fedorov’s deputy and the face of Ukraine’s use of crypto. Other speakers at the summit included Kiril Khomiakov, general manager of Binance Ukraine; Illia Polosukhin, co-founder of NEAR Protocol; and Pavlo Kartashov, director of the Ukrainian Startup Fund.
I have been following Ukraine closely since the war started. I wanted to come and see for myself and also let Ukraine know that lots of people in the blockchain, Ethereum, crypto world really care about you guys and lots of people support you, – said Vitalik Buterin.
Everything is TECHable with Ukraine!