The State of European Tech is the most comprehensive data-driven analysis of European technology in 2019 made by Atomico in partnership with Slush and Orrick. To understand where Ukraine is and how to move forward even faster, let’s check the track race of the EU tech industry.
Key findings of the EU tech by the report:
- European tech companies will likely reach $34B in funding in 2019, up from $25B in 2018. Funding has more than doubled in five years. It includes more than 40 $100M+ deals so far this year – more than ever before.
- 3 Countries (United Kingdom, Germany, and France) surpassed $10B cumulative capital invested since 2015
- 29 Cities across Europe attracting over $100M of capital invested in 2019 alone
- Across Europe, there now are 174 $1B+ tech unicorns. In 2010, there were only 18 – a 10x increase in less than a decade. And 20 countries now have at least one unicorn, twice the number only five years ago.
- Today, 170 cities have tech communities, compared to 70 four years ago.
- SOFTWARE ENGINEERING TALENT POOL – 6.1m professional developers in Europe, which represent an increase of 400,000 compared to 2018.
- 2,600 unique institutional investors involved in a European deal in 2019
- Eastern European cities dominate the list of growing hubs by Meetup members, as top tech hubs like London, Berlin, and Paris are losing popularity amongst founders thinking about where to locate their businesses.